When fables meet fall lines.
Home
Multi-resort passes for 2020-21: Epic, Ikon, MCP, plus Indy
44 posts from 17 users
Updated 15 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 months ago

Now that Ikon, Epic, and MCP are all available, guess it’s time for a new thread.  

I’m going to post stuff about the Indy Pass here too.  It won’t be available until Sept. 1, 2020 but is definitely coming back for a second season.

Scott published a good article in early March about Ikon vs Epic:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1607

Discussion about multi-resort passes for 2019-20:  http://www.dcski.com/forum/96591

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 months ago

News that isn’t fully public yet is that Windham will be added to Ikon.  The Windham season passholders were told today.

The Epic Northeast pass options are new for those who don’t want to spring for Epic Local to ski in PA, with perhaps a few days in NY/VT at Vail Resorts locations.

4 months ago
Not on the same scale as the other passes but for next year wintergreen passholders get unlimited access to the sister resorts, including Wisp. Previously was limited to 6 tickets per sister resort. We enjoyed having wintergreen an hour away and Wisp for easy weekend trips this season, although we will probably we switching back to snowshoe for next season (or maybe TL depending on what they announce next week)
4 months ago

Given the short and crappy season, I did not get much value from my Ikon Pass.  13 days on the slopes.  10 at Snowshoe (a few were 1/2 days) and 3 in Utah.  I was all in $819 (619 Ikon + 200 Primo) for those 13 days.  

It’s those damn Snowshoe lift lines on weekends that really “forces” me to go Ikon + Primo.  That Primo came in handy for 4 - 5 days but that adds 200 to my cost.

4 months ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Given the short and crappy season, I did not get much value from my Ikon Pass.  13 days on the slopes.  10 at Snowshoe (a few were 1/2 days) and 3 in Utah.  I was all in $819 (619 Ikon + 200 Primo) for those 13 days.  

It’s those damn Snowshoe lift lines on weekends that really “forces” me to go Ikon + Primo.  That Primo came in handy for 4 - 5 days but that adds 200 to my cost.

The crappy weather all season restricted trail options, exacerbrating the lines.  The new Powder Monkey lift should help.  And figure out the issues with Soaring Eagle.

4 months ago

Bonzski wrote:

The new Powder Monkey lift should help. 

They’re replacing the lift at Powder Monkey?  If so, with what?

4 months ago

I was planning on getting value from my Ikon pass beginning now. Laurel is closed and Seven Springs is now weekends only if they decide to reopen at all. My plan was to head to New England for a few weeks then finish my season in Utah. I did hit Vermont and used 4 days at Sugarbush in January. I also got 5 at Jackson Hole but the late season plan was to hit Killington, last day at Sugarbush then head further north to Sugarloaf maybe hit Loon or Sunday River. Then fly out to Utah and try to catch Deer Valley before they close then Snowbird. Now Covid-19 has shut nearly everyone down. Even if they do reopen both my wife and I are in the high risk group. Me, over 65 but more importantly, my wife has severe asthma and is also treated for an immune deficiency for IGG that protects against respiratory infection plus underlying bronchiectasis due to repeated respiratory infections. Until this virus is under control I will wait before spending money again on such a pass again. I wonder if Ikon or Epic will make adjustments to returning pass holders if they are forced to end their season now. I predict a steep drop in preseason super pass sales.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 months ago

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I wonder if Ikon or Epic will make adjustments to returning pass holders if they are forced to end their season now. I predict a steep drop in preseason super pass sales.

Wonder if the deadline dates for the lowest prices will just be extended?  Doubt we’ll see any announcements for a while though.  Way too many unknowns right now.

Have seen somewhere that for the Epic Day Pass for 2019-20, they will be honored until something like 12/20/2020.  So trying to get people to think about an early season trip next winter.

4 months ago

Good question about the early season pricing. The Snowshoe pass (non-Ikon) goes up in price after 3/19

3 months ago

Passes next year…. what are people planning on doing?

I was originally going to do Ikon base and some form of epic, most likely the NE or the Epic local. However given current events and the refund policies I haven’t purchased anything. As of now it sounds like snowshoe and epic prices are frozen and ikon goes up 4/22. I’ll probably play the waiting game a bit, but curious how others are reacting. 

Scott - DCSki Editor
3 months ago

I put a down payment on an Epic Pass.. right before the pandemic hit.  Seeing how things have played out since, I don’t think I would have been in a rush to purchase the pass based on where we are today and uncertainty about the impact next winter season.  I have a feeling a whole lot of people are holding back on purchasing passes, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the early-season pricing stick around until next Fall (or special offers return closer to the season).  That’s not based on any inside info, just a hunch.  We’re in unprecedented times.

3 months ago

IKON Pass doubled their renewal discount ——- details

3 months ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

And more importantly imo pushed the deadline to May 27

3 months ago

I was thinking of changing to ski some local and out west ie one of the big passes ikon, epic…

but got an email from Killington they will get with pass holders in early May sometime to “address the premature closing of the season, they extended the buy early season pass discount from expiring June 11 to June 30th

Perhaps they will offer a decent discount to make the decision a little tougher 

3 months ago

Vermont wrote:

I was thinking of changing to ski some local and out west ie one of the big passes ikon, epic…

but got an email from Killington they will get with pass holders in early May sometime to “address the premature closing of the season, they extended the buy early season pass discount from expiring June 11 to June 30th

Perhaps they will offer a decent discount to make the decision a little tougher 

Also Timberline is catching my interest and the season pass price there sounds good!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

rbrtlav wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

And more importantly imo pushed the deadline to May 27

Also added nurses for special discounted prices.  Same as what is offered for military and college folks.

3 months ago

I haven’t purchased any of the big passes the last several years.  I ski in Canaan Valley and with the two areas there, and as a ski instructor keeps my cost at $0.  Took a couple of trips with the SCWDC last year to Panorama, Kicking Horse, and Valley Nevada, then a week with PSIA at Mt Snow in VT.  The costs for those trips were pretty much all inclusive and once I paid, had only beverage costs out of pocket.  I had spine surgery in January which ended my season but I had already had nearly 20 days  including the trip to Chili in Sept.  Not buying Epic or Icon or any other multi mountain pass until the CORVID19 restrictions settle out. I think the season may end my earning my turns at White Grass if the restrictions remain. 

3 months ago

I had signed up for automatic renewal of my epic local pass but got an email from them saying they were delaying charging the initial deposit, which isn’t much, and that they were still considering what they were going to do about the abruptly ended season. It had already pretty much played out locally but there would have been options for at least a few more weeks in the NE or out West. Clearly we all still have to wonder about when the resorts can safely reopen too.

3 months ago

Well ikon added this change today… this will probably be enough to get me to buy a pass now. 

Ikon Pass community, we know you are in an uncertain world right now. While we are home, together, let’s look forward to that next adventure, regardless of when it may happen.

During these rapidly changing times, we want to help. We are offering you new flexibility, regardless of when you purchase, to choose to defer the value of your 20/21 Ikon Pass to a 21/22 Ikon Pass with no fees.

We are here for you, when you are ready.

Learn more about Adventure Assurance: bit.ly/CommunityGratitude

#IkonPass #WeAreTheMTNS”

3 months ago

I will wait before committing  to a multi resort pass as it may be harder to control/open vs a single mountain/ independent 

ski area, their solution to push back to the next season still is no guarantee they will be able to get all the resorts on the same page, those passes remind me of the health clubs that oversell memberships with the stories I hear of over crowding, people traveling to Maine for only 40 trails in January just because they need to get use out of their pass, rather then go to Killington with 100 trails open etc

Denis - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

I’m waiting too on the Ikon and Epic.  I bought an unlimited pass at Sierra at Tahoe; $169 at my age. So I’m covered, and no real pain if the season were to be cancelled.  By 2021-22 I’ll be free.  BTW I donated to the Tahoe community support fund.

3 months ago

Ikon would be relying on air travel as well to be worth while 

with Texas and Vermont being the 1st states to consider starting to reopen that shows that it’s risky to invest in something that requires too many other states, ski areas even airlines to be open to fully benefit a big pass

they will probably have to lower rates quite a bit more to get people to pay now for ” potential skiing “

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

Vermont wrote:

Ikon would be relying on air travel as well to be worth while 

Not necessarily for those of us who are retired.  As JimK demonstrated long ago with his son, driving out to Colorado for a ski trip is possible.  I’ve already talked to a local ski buddy about the idea of driving out.  He has his own business but started slowing it down during the winters a few years ago when the family got interested in skiing.  He has experience doing all the driving out to Colorado with a daughter for spring break.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

marzNC wrote:

Now that Ikon, Epic, and MCP are all available, guess it’s time for a new thread.  

I’m going to post stuff about the Indy Pass here too.  It won’t be available until Sept. 1, 2020 but is definitely coming back for a second season.

Scott published a good article in early March about Ikon vs Epic:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1607

Discussion about multi-resort passes for 2019-20:  http://www.dcski.com/forum/96591

Got an email with a survey for the Indy Pass.  So pretty clear Doug Fish plans to have it available in the fall.  I suggested that adding Timberline would be nice.  Also mentioned Beech and Sugar in NC.  The question allowed for top three.

3 months ago

Vail is doing 20%+ depending on usage as well as included insurance that includes COVID. Peak pass holders are also eligible for the 20% off. 
https://www.epicpass.com/info/2019-2020-pass-holder-credit.aspx

3 months ago

rbrtlav wrote:

Vail is doing 20%+ depending on usage as well as included insurance that includes COVID. Peak pass holders are also eligible for the 20% off. 

Nice moved by Vali/Epic to provide refunds on last season and free pass insurance for those who purchase an Epic Pass for 2020-21 (I did.)

=Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

Ikon announced today that Windham in NY and Mt. Bachelor will be on Ikon for 2020-21.  The usual 7/5 days for Full/Base.

So that means for the Catskills, Windham is on Ikon while Hunter is on Epic.  No word yet on what ORDA will do for Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface.  Would be quite nice to have the ORDA mountains either on Ikon.  I have friends in New England who really enjoyed the ORDA mountains the one season they were on the MAX Pass.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

Alta and Taos are going to wait before making any decisions about season passes.  Both have sent out emails essentially saying there won’t be passes availble in the spring.  Both are on Ikon, so I would guess they will be paying close attention to how many people sign up before the May 27 deadline for the renewal discount.  Presumably people who used Ikon before are more likely to be willing to ante up before it’s at all clear when/if the 2020-21 season will start.

3 months ago

It would be nice if all resorts followed Plattekill’s lead and push early pass discounts to Oct.

trying to get people to  think about buying for next season while they are still seeing snow flying etc may not sit well 

3 months ago

Killington extended their early buy discounted price until mid July

they offer a 150 voucher for full season pass holders and $75 for midweek pass holders for next season purchase along with being able to get a full refund Nov 20th for those who don’t use their pass

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

Not sure exactly when it happened, but the Mountain Collective Pass is “temporarily off sale” as of late April 2020.  Usually spring sales go on until late June and then the MCP is unavailable in July.  Has been opening back for purchase by mid-August.

3 months ago

I went with Indy Pass this after the IKON jacked the price point up to $649.  I had IKON from Spring 2018 & 18/19 season.  The Indy pass at $199 had several resorts that I had never skied and I figured I couldn’t lose on this pass.  I have skied 121 resorts since 1980, and my goal is to ski them all.  I get tired of skiing the same resort year after year and if you hit a small to mid level resort with no crowds then that becomes a lot attractive at this point.  Lucky I hit most of the resorts on IKON & EPIC passes already.  The IKON is a good pass since I prefer SLC resorts, Mammoth, and Tahoe resorts are the closest to So Cal. Over the years I have also had the MCP in 16/17 & 17/18 before the IKON was rolled out.  Prior to that I had the Powder Alliance pass through Mt High and you get 3 days at each of partner resorts when they had Snow Basin, Cretted Butte & Schweitzer and several others. The PA pass was about $300 in the beginning & I also got unlimited skiing at the local resort at MH plus 50+ days at the partners.  I have been averaging 56 per season the last four seasons.  The Indy pass is going to be $199 again with 94 days actoss the country in 20/21.  I didn’t even buy the pass until Thanksgiving weekend.  I also go to the local ski shows in San Diego & LA to pick up free passes at the resort booths.  I skied 24 different resorts this season and I like the variety. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

According to the Magic website, the Freedom Pass alliance is history.  There were some Freedom Pass locations that were on Indy in 2019-20.  Perhaps there will be more for 2020-21.  Indy actually generates revenue for the participating ski areas.  A small percentage goes to marketing efforts but a bigger chunk is distributed based on usage.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Indy announced the addition of seven new locations.  The one most likely to be of interest to DCSki folks is Cannon.  The others are in the midwest, CA, and BC.

What’s more important is the new pricing.  The base price for adults is still $199.  The options now include kid prices, an unrestricted option called Indy+ to cover blackout dates for the few locations that will have them, and a 25% discount for a black out date or a third day. 

Also, if someone gets a season pass for a participating ski area/resort before Indy, then the price would be $129.  Indy won’t be available until Sept. 1.  Last fall the price went up a little by the end of October.

There is a graduated discount for the following season if an Indy pass holder uses it less than four days for 2020-21.

2 months ago

Wow, I just got an email from Epic Pass saying that I earned $125 worth of created to apply to an 20/21 Epic Pass.  The credit was  earned by skiing more than 5 days at the Peak Pass resorts. Actually, their info page says I could have gotten a bigger credit I skied less than 5 days.  I had the Peak Pass last year.  I can use the credit against a pass of equal or greater value to the $629 price of last years Peak pass.  That will bring my Epic local pass down to $600.  It is still a tough decision whether to buy it with the Covid-19 situation.  They say I have untill labor day to use the credit.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

snowyslope92 wrote:

Wow, I just got an email from Epic Pass saying that I earned $125 worth of created to apply to an 20/21 Epic Pass.  The credit was  earned by skiing more than 5 days at the Peak Pass resorts. Actually, their info page says I could have gotten a bigger credit I skied less than 5 days.  I had the Peak Pass last year.  I can use the credit against a pass of equal or greater value to the $629 price of last years Peak pass.  That will bring my Epic local pass down to $600.  It is still a tough decision whether to buy it with the Covid-19 situation.  They say I have untill labor day to use the credit.

Did you also notice that there is Epic Coverage?  Essentially pass insurance for no cost.  Covers “resort closure” between Thanksgiving and Easter (April 4, 2021) as well as personal issues such as job loss, injury or illness, and a Stay At Home order.  If insurance comes into play, get a full or pro-rated refund.

VR took their time to figure out the best approach.  Their announcement came a couple weeks after the Ikon adjustment for the pandemic realities were announced.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

The deadline for the Ikon renewal discount prices was extended to June 15.  Was supposed to end on May 27.

The Ikon safety net is called Adventure Assurance.  As long you don’t use it before Dec. 10, can decide between Sept. 10 and Dec. 10 to defer an Ikon pass to 2021-22.

2 months ago

My email from Epic undercounted the number of days I skied on the Epic pass 

this year by five, probably reflecting the times I skied at Whitetail and Liberty when

no one scanned my pass for my entire session.  Doesn’t 

impact my rebate however.  Because I am hoping to ski at Teluride and Kicking Horse 

next year I will probably get the full epic and supplement 

that with a Timberline Pass.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

For people with a bias towards flying to SLC instead of Denver, Ski Utah did a comparison of Ikon, Epic, and MCP for 2020-21.  Of course a little hard since the price for the MCP is totally unknown since it was taken off the market soon by mid-April.  I can imagine it’s possible the MCP won’t even be offered.  That would be one less group of people to manage assuming the resorts will all have to limit numbers on a daily basis next winter.

https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/yeti/epic-pass-ikon-pass-mountain

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

Well, I was wrong.  The MCP is back on sale at $469.  Usually stays available until late June or early July.  New locations are Sugarloaf, as well as Sun Peaks and Panorama in Canada.

Boyne Resorts has Big Sky, Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf on Ikon.  But only Big Sky and Sugarloaf on the MCP.

2 months ago

MitchSH wrote:

My email from Epic undercounted the number of days I skied on the Epic pass 

this year by five, probably reflecting the times I skied at Whitetail and Liberty when

no one scanned my pass for my entire session.  Doesn’t 

impact my rebate however.  Because I am hoping to ski at Teluride and Kicking Horse 

next year I will probably get the full epic and supplement 

that with a Timberline Pass.  

My plan also. I already purchased the all you can eat Epic. Waiting for Timberline Mountain passes to go on sale.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

For background about the Indy Pass and where it’s likely to expand, check out the May podcast from the Storm Skiing Journal.  It was interesting to learn how much each resort got per Indy visit last season.

Podcast #16: Indy Pass Founder and President Doug Fish

https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-16-indy-pass-founder-and

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

marzNC wrote:

Well, I was wrong.  The MCP is back on sale at $469.  Usually stays available until late June or early July.  New locations are Sugarloaf, as well as Sun Peaks and Panorama in Canada.

Boyne Resorts has Big Sky, Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf on Ikon.  But only Big Sky and Sugarloaf on the MCP.

Got a reminder email from MCP today.  Someone who buys now has until Oct. 16 to decide if asking for a full refund is the better option for 2020-21.

I considered the MCP combined with Ikon Base, which worked out pretty well the first season that Ikon existed because I made it to three MCP locations.  Included an extended stay at Alta Lodge so the 50% MCP rate was useful.  But decided it was simpler to just get Full Ikon.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
15 days ago

marzNC wrote:

The deadline for the Ikon renewal discount prices was extended to June 15.  Was supposed to end on May 27.

The Ikon safety net is called Adventure Assurance.  As long you don’t use it before Dec. 10, can decide between Sept. 10 and Dec. 10 to defer an Ikon pass to 2021-22.

The time for using Adventure Assurance was extended as long as an Ikon pass isn’t used.  Here’s what is on the Ikon website as of July 21, 2020.

More time to defer your unused 20/21 Ikon Pass. No questions asked.*

For any reason, if you don’t use your 20/21 Ikon Pass, you will have the option to defer the purchase price paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass using the new Zero-Day Credit - no questions asked. You can now make this decision between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021.

PRODUCT COVERAGE: 20/21 Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass, Ikon Session Pass 4-Day

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Shout it from a mountaintop.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.23 seconds